Tuesday, May 10, 2011

SORRY AND FORGIVESS : words to change the world.


Meredith: [narrating] As doctors we can't undo our mistakes, and we rarely forgive ourselves for them. But, it's a hazard of the trade. But, as human beings we can always try to do better. To be better. To right a wrong. Even when it feels irreversible. Of course, I'm sorry doesn't always cut it. Maybe because we use it so many different ways. As a weapon. As an excuse. But, when we are really sorry, when we use it right. When we mean it. When our actions say what words never can. When we get it right "I'm sorry" is perfect. When we get it right, "I'm sorry" is redemption.

The above is a quote from the television show Grey's Anatomy

I had an incident last night where even though I don't think I did anything wrong I thought it was appropriate to say I was sorry.

Clearly there was a misunderstanding between the two of us, and sadly this misunderstanding had consequences. The misunderstanding happened I guess in communication ... the way in which I communicated what I was saying and the way in which the person received the communication. I didn't think I'd communicated inappropriately, or that I wasn't clear in what I said, but obviously the other person interpreted my comments in a completely different way. Nothing major happened. Nobody died nor did it have serious consequences ... but people were hurt and people were crying.

Even though I didn't think that I was wrong the reason I said that I was sorry was because I knew that this person was hurting.

How often do we do something to hurt another and we don't say that we are sorry. How often do we say or do something to our children that we really should apologise for and don't ... like for example when we accuse them of something and in actual fact they haven't done it at all.

When something happens that requires a "sorry" ... it may be that we haven't done anything wrong at all, but a 'sorry' or apology can clearly right the perceived wrongs or entirely change the way in which people feel.

That one little word of 5 letters - s-o-r-r-y - can change the world and make it a better place.

Along with being sorry or asking forgiveness comes the acceptance of sorrow on the part of another and accepting their sorry. I think this is just as important. It is important because how can we expect to be forgiven if we aren't prepared or willing to forgive them.

Why do people think that saying sorry makes them weak ... they think that it means they are giving in rather than being sorry that someone is hurt. Perhaps if there were more people in this world willing to be sorry or forgive another, the world would be so much the better ... a better place.

A little girl was asked what forgiveness is ...
She gave a beautiful answer ....
"It's the fragrance that flowers give when they are crushed..."
- quotestoliveby-

No comments: