Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reverb 12 ..... Day 9

Your favourite book ?
What was the best book you read in 2012, and why ?  Why did you read it and why was it your favourite ?


"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying inside by the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.


Excerpt from “The Velveteen Rabbit: or How Toys Become Real” By Margery Williams


I'm sad to say that I haven't read all that many books this year.  Sad because reading is one of my favourite things to do.  It's a children's book I know, but I just love it.    I miss reading, but I just don't seem to have had the same passion to read as I used to and I seem to have been busy doing other things.  I am reading Les Miserables at the moment and am enjoying it.  

This however, is my very favourite book of all time.  I posted about this book sometime ago on my blog, but just thought I'd share my very favourite passage from this book. 

My second favourite book of all time is this one :


"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be".

If you've never read either of these books, then please take the time to read them, because I know you'll love them.

I think the reason I love both of those books so much is because they both tell a wonderful story and have a beautiful message.  They are about feelings and things that cannot be seen but felt in the heart.  These are not my favourite books of 2012, they are my favourite books of all time.


2 comments:

Kris said...

I love reading too. And I have those books you mentioned. Not sure what my favourite book is. There are so many.

Lotti said...

Yep Kris, I have favourite books. I can't have just one. Love too many.