Saturday, April 18, 2009

A WICKED TIME......Part 2

I was thinking last night that I'd better get my act together and finish Part 2 of the Wicked Post. I started the first part ages ago, but a few things have happened in the meantime and I just seemed to have become side tracked about the whole thing. Possibly because I have also been away in the interim. To continue on from the last post......
When we got into the hotel room there was a basket sitting on a small coffee table near the window. They had all sorts of bits and pieces in it, as you can see from the picture.


I can't believe what these places actually charge for these items.....$4 for a chocolate bar, $4 for a bottle of water.....you can actually drink the water from the tap in Melbourne so I can't work out why anyone would pay anything for water there let alone a 600ml bottle. Everything in this basket was hugely expensive, needless to say neither my sister nor I purchased anything from here. Instead we went to the supermarket around the corner and bought our own nibblies.

Can you believe that on the morning of our birthday .....and the very reason that we went to Melbourne .....we both forgot that it was our birthday. We had been awake for over half an hour or thereabouts and finally remembered to wish each other a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I had decided to buy my sister a pair of Aquamarine earrings for her birthday.......so around 9.00am I set off in search of a jewellery store that could sell me a pair. Well I did find a really nice pair, but I wasn't prepared to pay $2,700 for them.....so I kept looking till I found a pair that were within my price range. I guess if I had the money I would have bought them, but sadly I didn't....and I don't think my sister loves me any less. The pair I eventually bought were really lovely and as soon as I saw them I knew I wanted to buy them....and my sister loved them.



For brunch we decided to go to THE PANCAKE PARLOUR in Bourke Street for lunch........YUMMY!! It was awesome. We used to go there when we were younger and when I was working in the city of Melbourne. They have absolutely the best pancakes ever. I'm sure the people that were working in the restaurant must have thought I was weird taking photos in there....but no-one said a word.






It was so nice just sitting, relaxing, and not having to worry about doing anything for anyone. While we were there talking, we spent our time reminiscing about our lives and the things that we did when we were growing up. We also talked about the memories that we had of things our mother had told us about the day that we were born.

We were going to go out to a nice restaurant for dinner, but after eating our pancakes we were full and decided this would be our birthday meal.


Flinders Street Railway Station
Cnr. Flinders St & Swanston St

Cnr Flinders Street and Swanston Street
Notice in Melbourne we have yellow taxis as opposed to the white taxis of Adelaide





These were only a couple of photos of Federation Square.....it is actually much bigger than it appears here. Much of Square is in behind the buildings in these photos.





This is a picture of the Former GPO (General Post Office) on the Cnr of Bourke Street and Elizabeth Street - I say former because it is no longer a post office. They have kept the facade of the building, but there are a number of shops inside now.

Down at one end of the GPO on the Bourke Street side is this flower shop.


Trams are a large part of the transport system in Melbourne. This tram is travelling up Bourke Street across the Elizabeth Street intersection towards Spencer Street. The Tram system travels into the outer suburbs of the city of Melbourne.

This is the old City Square with St. Pauls Cathederal in the background. I can remember this as being a very busy place at one time.

And finally I get to the reason for the trip to Melbourne other than our 50th birthday ........





The Regent Theatre, Bourke Street, Melbourne





Maggie Kirkpatrick as Madame Morrible




Bert Newton as The Wizard



Lucy Durack as Glinda (the Good Witch)


Jemma Stevenson as Elphaba (the Wicked Witch)

Robert Mills as Fiyero

WICKED was a fabulous and exciting show. I would go again and see it tomorrow if I had the time and money. It was a truly wonderful production. I now know why I love live theatre so much. If anyone has the opportunity to go and see this musical, take the opportunity and go....I know that you will love it. One of the things I loved about it the most was the fact that I didn't really know any of the principal actors or actresses, except for Bert Newton, before I saw the show. The Principal Actress playing Elphaba wasn't on the night we saw it, the understudy was and she was fabulous.

Hope I haven't bored you all with my adventures in Melbourne, but for me it was a birthday I will never forget. Birthdays are memorable for many reasons, but mine was mostly memorable because it was our 50th and because I got to spend it with my Twin.

No comments: