Thursday, February 7, 2013

Let us oft speak kind words to ourselves ......

How important are the WORDS we say? 
The WORDS that we say to others?
Most importantly, the WORDS that we say to ourselves?



I don't know about you, but my mum used to say, if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.  Sure, sometimes we have to say things that seem 'not nice' .... well of course that is subjective .... and maybe we don't want to hear those things, but mostly there is no need to be nasty, or say things that aren't nice.  We can do a lot of good with the nice words that we say or we can do a lot of harm with our unkind words.  

We can make friends or we can make foes with our words.  We can be happy or sad with our words.  We can drive people away or attract them to us .... all with the words that we say.

So, thinking about words that we say to others and how they may make them feel ....... what words do we say to ourselves?  Do we feed our souls with wonderful words, or do the words we say, ultimately bring us down?  Do the words we say make us feel good about ourselves, and rightly so, or do they make us feel as though we are nothing, worthless and don't have a place in this world ?

For a very long time, and especially as a young girl, I was constantly telling myself how worthless I was, how I wasn't good enough, how I would just never ever be good enough.  I think this came in part from things that happened to me when I was a little girl.

Even as an adult I was acutely aware of how I felt about myself as a person.  With time I have come to realise that I am not the terrible and worthless person that I thought I was when I was younger.  I have come to realise that I can rise about those awful and terrible feelings.  I can change that and change the things I say to myself.  

I have come to realise that the most important thing that I can do for myself is to be kind to myself, to look after me.  More important than what other people say to me, is what I say to myself.  Self-talk is vital in feeling positive and good about who we are.  I don't think that we realise just how important it is.

I used to think it was selfish or egocentric to think good thoughts about myself.  I used to think it was WRONG.  Imagine that, thinking it was wrong to feel good about yourself.  Sadly, so many people out there feel the same way.  Hey, you, reading my blog, if you feel the same way, don't !!!  Stop right now, love yourself for who you are, a valuable human being.  

I love being the age I am now .... 53, 54 next month - heck, I once thought that was old, so old ..... but funny how I don't any more.  I'm thinking that's pretty normal for most people.   I love the fact that I have finally realised that I am allowed to like who I am and not beat myself up for not being perfect.  Too many of us think if we are NOT perfect then we are NOT good enough.  Life is not a place we arrive at, but rather move through on our journey.  No one is perfect and no one ever will be in this life.  

The most important thing we can do in this life and the reason I believe we are here on this earth is to grow and progress and most importantly LEARN.  My philosophy is that we are here to learn, and most importantly to learn about who we are and what we are capable of .... and oh we are capable of so much.  We won't always do it perfectly and won't always get it right, but as long as we are trying we will get there in the end.


We are a long time on this journey of life so why not love ourselves for who we are.  Let's be kind to ourselves and take the time to do things for ourselves, to say kind and encouraging words to ourselves.  Words that will make us feel good, not bad.  Every day remember that you are someone of worth.  Every day remember to be kind to yourself and speak words of kindness, love and encouragement and most especially remember how important you as an individual are to this world.

1 comment:

anopensketchbook said...

I love the image about being comfortable in your own skin. Such a good reminder!