Saturday, January 11, 2014

KEEP GIVING IT ANOTHER SHOT ......



Sometimes I wonder if being so public about what I am doing is the right
thing to do.  I was planning to keep all this to myself, and just work away at it on my own.  For a number of reasons I have decided that it is the right thing to share my journey........  

1) Because in doing so I am making a commitment to do this.  I know I have said that before, but for me it is vital that I am committed.  It also keeps me accountable.  
2) Because by doing this, I hope, that I will give even one other person the encouragement to make a decision to follow their dream and achieve their goal.  If I help one other person to do the same thing and turn their life around then I will feel that I have achieved something.  
3) To raise much needed funds into research into treatments and cures for cancer.  Every $$ is so vital. 
And lastly 4) Because I want to go to my son’s wedding, feeling good about who I am.  I am not into the whole appearance thing and at my age I don’t care what people think (thank goodness you get past that whole teenage stage and worrying about how you look, etc).  I just want to go to my son’s wedding in my SKINNY DRESS and feel good about me and who I am.




I started at the gym on Thursday.   I found out why they call it a workout!!  Not that I didn’t expect to go there and work hard, it was just when the reality of actually having to do it hit, I realised what I had let myself in for.

I walked a day in between which was good and I cut the time it took to walk by 5 mins …. and that felt really good.  So going to the gym has given me a bit more stamina.  I know I am going to need all the stamina I can get when it comes to the 200km bike ride in November.

Then I went to the gym again this morning and well ….. let’s just say I felt like I was going to die (I know, that’s a bit dramatic, just the drama queen in me coming out).  But not to be deterred I kept on going and did make it through the workout.  My Personal Trainer said I did really well and that she had worked me a lot harder this time.  Oh so I wasn’t just imagining that she had stepped the workout up a level.

There was one point there when I wanted to give up, where I wanted to sit down and not get up again.  In the midst of all that I just kept telling myself that all this hard work would be worth it.  I told myself that when I made it to my final goals …. Wearing my Skinny Dress at my son and daughter-in-law’s wedding and the finish line of the Ride to Conquer Cancer: that all that hard work and effort would be worth it.  I always keep that thought uppermost in my mind and am determined to never lose sight of my GOALS.

Is this journey easy?  Sometimes yes, and other times no; but mostly it’s a challenge.  I am being challenged in various ways and learning so much about me and what I am capable of.  Are there times when I think that I can’t achieve this?  Of course there are.  Are there times when I think will all this work be worth it?  I can honestly say that in the time since I made the decision to lose weight, have a healthier lifestyle and ride in The Ride to Conquer Cancer, I have never once thought that it wouldn’t be worth it.  I know it will be worth it deep inside of me.  On many levels it will be the most worthwhile thing I have ever done.  This challenge will help to raise money for such a worthwhile cause, that of being able to fund more research into finding cures for Cancer. 

For me on a personal level, it will be wonderful.  I will be so much lighter in weight.  I will be so much healthier than I have ever been in my life.  I will be fitter and know that life will be very different and I will enjoy it so much more.

At every point of this whole journey when I feel like giving up, I visualise the dream of riding over the finish line, my arm in the air, and me saying “I did it, I did it” in the Ride to Conquer Cancer and that is what keeps me going.