Thursday, July 23, 2009


Heaven's Very Special Child

A meeting was held quite far from Earth
It's time again for another birth.
Said the Angels to the LORD above,
This Special Child will need much love.

Hi progress may be very slow,
Accomplishments he may not show.
And he'll require extra care
from the folks he meets down there.

He may not run or laugh or play,
His thoughts may seem quite far away,
in many ways he won't adapt,
and he'll be known as handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent,
we want his life to be content.
Please LORD, find the parents who
will do a special job for you.

They will not realise right away
the leading role they're asked to play,
but with this child sent from above
comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given
in caring for their gift from Heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild,
is HEAVEN'S VERY SPECIAL CHILD.

by Edna Massionilla
December 1981
I found out tonight that a very special young man who I was a personal carer for passed away yesterday afternoon.
It was my privelege to know this young man and felt priveleged to have the opportunity to have cared for him for a period of time. He had lived on this earth for 25 years and yet he was very much a child at heart. Although he was physically disabled he had the most wonderful and beautiful spirit.
He loved to talk and tell you everything that he was happy about in his life. His innocence was so refreshing. He loved Hi 5 .... oh how he loved Hi 5. He loved to draw pictures and write you notes on his note pad. He'd draw me a picture and say "take that home and stick it on your fridge".
Whilst his body wasn't that of a other peoples, he lived life to the fullest. He loved the football and his favourite team Port Adelaide was evident in posters, scarves, hats and on Sunday mornings when he would proceed to tell me about the game. They would win and they would loose games, but if they lost he would say "oh well, it's only a game".
I took this photo at a game that I took him to. He was so happy to go to the football. I asked him if he was enjoying the game and he told me he loved it. He said hi to everyone that he saw. He was such a happy and friendly young man.
I know now that you are with Heavenly Father and that you will be free of all the physical ailments that you had on this earth. I picture you now walking and running, knowing no boundaries of physical ability. I can remember caring for you one night while your mum went to hospital overnight. You woke up and were a bit worried about mum and if she was okay ..... I reassured you that she was and that she would be home in the morning. After talking with you for a little while I helped you back to bed and tucked you in. Since I have a great faith in Heavenly Father and I knew that you did too, I said to you "how about I say a prayer for you that mum will be kept safe and that he will protect you tonight and keep you safe". You said yes, and so I said a brief prayer for you. Then I said will you be okay now and you said that you would be ..... that you knew that God would look after you..... and then you went to sleep. You had so much faith in God and Jesus and you knew in your heart that they loved you.
You are with them now my friend, sleep peacefully and know that you will be fondly remembered for the beautiful and innocent spirit that you were.

1 comment:

Kris said...

What a wonderful young man and a wonderful Mum. Thanks for sharing this story!